31 May 2009

Cary Band Day

It was always the same, yet somehow each year was different. One thing that was always the same was the cold. I don't know how they always knew which Saturday in November would be the coldest, but they did.


The parade seemed to start at the crack of dawn. Although I know it couldn't be that early. By that time of year the days were shorter, and we had to park what seemed like miles away from our spot along the route. So getting up early was always a part of Cary Band Day.



Although one year I didn't see the parade from the sidelines, I saw it from the top of a float. I don't remember the theme of the float, much less the sponsor. But, I do remember the huge "Nellie Olsen" bow in my in my hair and the gigantic lollipop--you know the ones, they're multi-colored and swirled. That was a great parade . . . okay, so mostly it was great to eat the lollipop!



One year I didn't see the parade at all. I was too busy trying to remember all the right notes, keep rhythm and stay in step all at the same time. As an eighth grader I wasn't too good at that. That was my last year in band, but certainly not my last experience with Cary Band Day.

In fact, a couple years ago I happened to be visiting my parents one weekend in November. As we sat out on the deck you could still clearly hear the bands as they competed for the "Best of Show" and other awards.

It was a very sweet sound.

No comments: